As a result of improvements made to production and packaging, we are able to offer you Santa Maria wheat tortillas with an even better aftertaste when sharing Tex Mex moments with loved ones.
These are some of the actions we have taken:
For our Nordic and Baltic markets we use flour from Lantmännen, a Swedish Agricultural cooperative. Through Lantmännen's cultivation program, Climate & Nature*, Swedish farmers have implemented more sustainable farming methods, reducing carbon dioxide emissions from wheat and promoting biodiversity.
Wheat grown within the program has a 30% lower climate impact compared to the average Swedish winter wheat in 2015. Lantmännen's partnership with Paulig also includes 5,460 skylark plots (unseeded areas in fields where birds can land and find food) and 109,000 square meters of flower zones, equivalent to 15 soccer fields.
Learn more about our collaboration with Lantmännen here.
*The program is based on the mass balance principle.
Our tortilla factory buildings in Sweden and UK are both certified as CarbonNeutral®*. Carbon neutral refers to the state of achieving a balance between the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions released into the atmosphere and the amount of CO2 removed or offset from the atmosphere.
In our factory in Landskrona, Sweden, where we bake 400 million tortillas per year, the CO2 emissions in the factory have been reduced by 98% since 2014. The remaining 2% are compensated for. Making the UK factory in Milton Keynes carbon neutral, has reduced the company’s overall emissions by as much as 4%.
To make the factories carbon neutral, we have for example invested in energy efficiency, heat recovery and switched to buying biogas, renewable electricity and district heating.
In 2018, we launched a tortilla packaging partly made of paper. By doing so, we have reduced the amount of plastic used in production. The change of material also means that part of the packaging can be recycled as paper in some of our markets (the possibility to recycle materials differ between countries). In total, we have lowered the CO2 emissions from the different tortilla packaging formats by 22-35%.
The tortilla packaging and outer cardboard box are FSC-certified, which means they have met the standards set by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), an organization that promotes sustainable forest management practices.
Packaging development continues to be one of the key focus areas for us and our ambition is that, by 2030, all our packages will be recyclable and will be made from renewable or recycled materials.